Two-time IPL champions Kolkata Knight Riders will see a change of guard as the management revealed that current captain Dinesh Karthik has opted to hand over captaincy of the franchise to Eoin Morgan for IPL 2020. Karthik, who hasn’t had the best of shows with the bat this season, scoring 108 runs from seven matches with just one half-century, made the call with an aim to focus on his batting.
World Cup winning captain Morgan will lead the side when it takes on Mumbai Indians in Abu Dhabi on Friday. Appointed England’s limited-overs captain in 2011, Morgan has led the team to 77 wins from 126 ODIs and 30 wins out of 52 T20Is.
Karthik was appointed captain of KKR ahead of the 2018 season of the IPL, replacing the side’s long-standing skipper Gautam Gambhir, who joined the Delhi Capitals (then Daredevils) after the franchise opted not to retain him. Karthik captained KKR for two entire seasons of the IPL, guiding the team to the knockouts in 2018 and a fifth-place finish in 2019. This year, KKR are currently placed fourth with eight points after seven matches.
- United Nations at 75 plagued by new crises and cash crunch
- Coronavirus: Clashes in Naples (Italy) over tightening restrictions
- US election 2020: How Trump has changed the world
- Sudan normalizes relations with Israel – the latest in a series of Arab League countries to do so
- Poland abortion ruling: Protests spread across the country